Monday, December 10, 2007

Assignment 11

1. I think that theme is really important in writing, however, it is not necessary if the writing makes a clear point. I do think that when reading plays or books or even poems that a theme is helpful when interpreting and trying to relate to the piece of writing. I think that literature doesn't really have that many boundaries. Pretty much anything goes and that goes along with expressing an idea. It is helpful to have an idea presented, that way you are not lost within reading or writing. For example, the movie "Breakfast Club" is an example of having a central idea and in the end concludes with a theme of accepting differences. I think that the movie does a great job of displaying their theme throughout by having the students act and talk about different stories that make them who they are.

2.I think what causes great literary works to live forever is their theme and overall writing style. I think an interesting plot and or intriguing message can draw an audience in and keep them there. Although I haven't read the book Pride and Prejudice, I enjoyed watching the movie. I think what really caught my attention was the characters and the history behind each scene. The topic was romantic and simplistic, yet it kept you wondering what would happen next. I think it's stories that can relate to each kind of person, and can keep one involved in the story is what makes works last forever.

3. If I could have one long- lasting impact on the world around me, it would be something realistic such as helping with the Children's Hospital and more importantly cancer patients. I feel like those who are diagnosed with cancer or any other serious illness at a young age is terrible, I think that to help I could really put my efforts into donation, and helping out at the hospital. While doing this, I could write poems with a message of hope, love, and happiness, and then give them to the patients. Each patient could then draw a picture of what they thought the poem meant to them, and each picture could be published next to the poem in a book. This book then could be sold for money and the money would go towards the hospital and cancer research. This idea could then inspire those children with hope and also encourage others to make a difference.

4 comments:

David R said...

good job.

Katie said...

I really like how you mentioned the Breakfast Club. That movie is a great example of work that carries a distinct and important message, while managing to do it in a creative and unique way. I also agree with you that with old books like Pride and Prejudice, the historical element is part of the attraction.

True said...

Honestly, some of your thoughts are a little hazy in the way they come across. Writing has a theme when it makes a clear point. To me, theose are not necesarily exclusive.

Dreese said...

Your idea of helping people out is really cool. Hope that happens.