Monday, December 3, 2007

Assignment 10

I am a thinker and I think thinks

1. What concerns me now in the world is those who don't have enough money or aren't fortunate enough to have a Holiday. I think that many in the U.S and all over the world are struggling to even pay bills or eat, but I always think that people, no matter what, should be able to have a special day on Christmas, or get a chance to have a great holiday. I feel this way because I look at my life and how lucky I am to have what I have and it makes me feel sad about those who cannot or will not have a Christmas like mine. I'm so used to just getting presents and being able to have a huge meal with all of my family in a warm house, it's hard to realize that a lot of people don't have any of that. I think feelings like this happen more when the Holiday season comes up and it's something that helps me to realize how fortunate I am.

2. I think someone who is unique, special and amazing would be my church leader Kimberli. Not only has she effected my life, but that of many others. She is always there when you need her, and she offers the best advice and also is so easy to relate to. She is amazing in the fact that she can connect on so many levels with so many different people and equally accept them. I also think her relationship with God is one that I admire and I enjoy learning from her and with her through experiences in church and with God. She is truly special because is someone you can always count on, and even though she has a family of her own, she makes time for you. I really look up to Kimberli and love all that she does.

3. There are a lot of pieces of art that inspire me, one being the song "Yellow" by Coldplay. It is an older song by them, but it somehow always gets to me. It has inspired me in my poetry a lot in this class and is a song that relaxes me and helps me to take notice to all the little things in life. The phrase, "Look at the stars, look how they shine for you..." I think that ultimately means that the world is here for you and for the taking, and look at them wanting you to appreciate them, waiting for you to notice them. I also listen to Coldplay a lot when I'm running, although most of the songs are slower, they all have a good beat that keeps me going. It really helps to let go and focus on the moment, it relieves a stress and inspires me to keep going.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Your comments on the holidays and poverty are similiar to what I talked about in my post. It's so true that we are so jaded and used to having a perfect Christmas and getting spoiled. It's easy to forget how horrible this time of year is for many people. There is definitely a dark side to Christmas that is easy to forget about.

Dreese said...

I think it's really cool that you have such a solid rock to your life in your church leader Kimberli. Usualy people like that are those who make the biggest impact in our lives.

David R said...

Great song. I agree whole heartedly.

True said...

i like what you said about christmas presents and feeling guilty about having it. i feel the same way most of time, and i feel helpless because i want to give my presents to someone else, or to just make someone else happy but i dont know how. i guess im just emotionally crippled...

Mr. Miles said...

There's also many people out there who don't have FAMILY on Christmas. I have such a great family, but they say holidays can be really difficult for a lot of people because they have to deal with either the lack of family or past hurts from their family.

It is hard, but I think we help by giving what we can. Just think of all the kids who will benefit from the toy drive the next couple weeks. That'll have a profound impact.