Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Assignment 2

The piece of work I chose was a song by David Gray called, "Shine". I first heard this song with my mom in the car, she is a really big fan of David Gray and we had put in one of his CD's. It has a really slow melody and is really relaxing, but also keeps your interest. I think that what really made me like it was the lyrics, they were so perfect, it's almost like he said exactly what he wanted to say. The lyrics not only moved me in a way of self expression, but also that they were uplifting and gave you a sort of hope.
"But who knows whats waiting
In the wings of time
Dry your eyes
We gotta go where we can shine"
This is the main chorus of the song, and also the most significant. I think it is very sweet the way he talks about the love of his life, and is telling her to step out of the darkness and shine. It is repeated in order to show more emphasis on the words and what he is really trying to say.

Prompt one: Think of a song that really 'gets to you' or is lyrically significant, write four sentences on what the song is and how it effects you.

Prompt two: Is there ever a time when you need to tell yourself to step out of the darkness and go where you can shine? If so, when is this and why do you feel this way? How do you overcome this feeling?

3 comments:

Katie said...

1. A song that really "gets" to me would have to be "One" by U2. The general emphasis of the song is the message that all human beings are connected and should therefore, treat each other well. I think this message is hugely significant because on a daily basis you see people hurting other people. They should listen to U2's message in "One".

2. The times when I get the saddest are usually after fights with a loved one, whether it be a family member or a friend. It is really hurtful to know that you and someone that means so much to you are causing each other pain. At these times, I find that the best thing to do is talk through the issue, forgive each other, and move on.

David R said...

The song "Dreamin'" by G. Love and Special Sauce. It really makes me feel good and makes me happy to be who I am. No matter how well you do in school, or sports, etc. your life will only go where YOU take it.

True said...

A song that really gets to me is "Eh Hee" by Dave Matthews Band. On the DVD where I saw the song, Dave describes the story of where the song came from, and it was with a tribe of people in South Africa. He was at one of their bonfires and he was asking a translator what they were saying and the translator replied that the songs had no words, because they had been singing them before words were made. Its an interesting thought to think that maybe music, rhythm, and melody have had a longer history than spelling, grammar, and verb conjugations.