Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?

Assignment 4:

The setting overall seemed like it was at night, which gave it a 'creepier' mood. No matter who she was with I felt that she was still always somewhat alone. I think that Connie could have handled the situation better by just ignoring them in the first place and acting right away rather than dragging out the situation. Connie does however draw you in because she is a younger girl which is relatable to many people in the class. I think that everyone has dealt with uncomfortable situations, maybe not this intense but we've all been there before. I think the author describes how she is feeling a lot and that helps to get into the mind of the character. The story ended poorly because it really frusterates me that it was left with so many things unanswered. I think that Arnold Friend ended up raping her and then waited for her family to come and killed everyone and Ellie escaped and told the police on Arnold.

1. A variety of characters, different personalities
2. Setting must be evident and somewhat interesting otherwise it's hard to get into a story
3. Interesting hook
4. Antagonist
5. Conflicts, it bugs me when everything is perfect, so conflicts usually keep me interested
6. Romance
7. Murder or mystery
8. Surprise ending, but questions answered
9. climax, something that leads to more questions but also gives you something to lead up to
10. A good title, one that grabs your attention

4 comments:

Katie said...

I agree with you about how Connie should have acted sooner. I think she was too immature and distracted to realize the danger of Arnold Friend. She probably liked the male attention at first. I think the ending that you predicted was creative. I wouldn't have ever thought to put Ellie in the "hero" role because so little is known about his character. It seems very strange that he is just sitting in the car while Arnold harasses Connie.

I like the idea you had about having characters with a variety of personalities. I didn't think of it, but I agree with you about the ending. Surprise and an explanation is definitely the best way to end a story because it interests and satisfies the reader.
Good job!

Dreese said...

Grace, your ending should be sent in and officially added to the end of the story. That is what I thought also, but I think maybe Ellie could have helped kill her? Or rape her at least, I don't know. But I like the imagination used. Your list of characteristics of a short story is also good and spans a wide variety. Number 8 leads me to believe that you didn't like the story we read.

True said...

I think that the way you came out and voiced your thoughts on what happened at the end shows your inner creativity. Also, your emphasis on Ellie's character makes me think that perhaps I missed something while reading the story. I didn't think that Ellie was an important part of the story, but after reading your post, it makes me think that Ellie was the perfect complement to Arnold Friend's character.

David R said...

I agree with you on your description of Connie always feeling alone. I think that today, a lot of celebrities feel that way and that sense of lonlienss turns them into something much more than a celebrity. I think it can also change the kind of person that we are and in the end, it kills Connie.